Types of Programs and Events
General Events on Campus
Most student organization sponsored programs and events will take place on campus for Tufts students only within a one to four hour block of time. Student organizations should follow all event registration guidelines listed in this Roadmap and on the Office for Campus Life website in planning and executing their events.
NOTE: Special Guidelines for Food Trucks at student organization events.
Off Campus Event
Student organizations may be interested in hosting a Tufts University sponsored event at an off campus location. These events are often social events held at a hotel, club or conference facility. While these events are generally allowed there are a few guidelines and policies that must be followed. Any student organization looking to host an event at an off campus location must contact the Office for Campus Life prior to any planning. These events usually require contract negotiation (please refer to Contracts for Goods and Services on Page 5). All other policies stated in this Roadmap, including guest policy, ticket policy, alcohol policy etc. apply to off campus events.
Multi-Day/Full Weekend Events on Campus
Some student organizations will request permission for multi-day or full weekend events. These include conferences, competitions or meetings. Often these types of events also include significant numbers of participants from off campus. While we welcome these types of events and their participants to Tufts University, they often use significant campus resources and take extra planning and coordination. All other regular scheduled campus functions and events will take priority over these types of events and based on timing, numbers of participants and available resources a specific program of this nature may not be approved. Student organizations seeking to host a multi-day event must get prior approval from the Office for Campus Life before any planning of the event can begin. Note: Depending on the type of event and spaces being used the guest policy guidelines may be waived for a multi-day event. Please contact the Office for Campus Life for details.
City Wide/Open Floor Plan Events
Student organizations may request to host City Wide/Open Floor Plan events with Tufts students and students from other local universities. Admission to City Wide/Open Floor Plan events is open to college students and requires a current university or college photo ID. For these City Wide/Open Events metal detectors are available at the request of hosting student organization and/or at the discretion of Tufts University Police department in consultation with the Office for Campus Life and the Dean of Student Affairs office. Metal detecting equipment may be required depending on the size of the event and the method of advertising.
- City Wide events are only permitted in Hotung Café in the Mayer Campus Center on Friday or Saturday evenings from 10pm to 2am. There is a maximum capacity of 200. Doors are required to close no later than 12 midnight. Note: City Wide events sponsored by a Tufts University student organization will not be permitted at an off campus location.
- As with any event, all requests for City Wide/Open events are handled individually. Due to the added logistics of these events, requests must be turned in to the Space and Resource reservation system at least one month in advance. All necessary paperwork associated with the event must be at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Organization members are required to meet with OCL staff at least one month in advance to begin planning logistics for their event. Final approval will be granted or denied after a review of request by TUPD and OCL.
- The sponsoring student organization is responsible for the cost of up to two (2) detail security officers and the Office for Campus Life Event Staff.
- All other security costs, including the use of metal detecting equipment, should it be requested or required, will be borne by the University.
- Ticket sales in advance and/or at the venue Information Booth the night of the event will be required through Tufts Tickets.
Listed below are some miscellaneous guidelines all student organization should be aware of when implementing their events.
Access to Locked Spaces
If a facility that you have reserved is locked, you must call Tufts University Police Department (617-627-3030) and request they open the room for you. The room reservation confirmation print-out must be presented when the police arrive. If a facility needs to be opened, it is your responsibility to ensure the building is secure at the end of your event, and to call TUPD to secure the facility if necessary.
Responsibilities of Sponsors
When a facility is reserved for use, the sponsoring organization assumes responsibility for the facility throughout the duration of use. Upon entering the room, the sponsor should note any damage or problems with the facility. Care should be taken during the time of use to protect the facility. After the event, the room must be left clean and in the condition in which the room was found prior to any set-up. If the sponsor anticipates that this will not be possible, the Facilities online work order must completed prior to the event to provide this service. The room furnishings are to be reset to the original set-up. Any damages should be reported to Tufts University Police Department (617-627-3030) at the conclusion of facility use. Any additional cleaning or repair required after use will be billed to the sponsoring organization.
Changing or Canceling a Reservation
If it becomes necessary to change the time, date, location, or another detail of your event, it is important to email the appropriate event scheduler to modify the information in the Room Reservation System. A corrected confirmation printout will be provided if time permits. All servicing departments (i.e. Tufts University Police Department, Catering, Facilities, A/V Services) must also be notified of all changes by the sponsor, or sponsors will be liable for any associated charges. Repeated no-shows may result in the loss of reservation privileges.