Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Individual students and student organizations frequently have a need for transportation to locations beyond the campus for Tufts sponsored programs and activities.  For any university business travel it is important that students first review the University Fleet Policy.

Fall 2020 Note:  All student organization travel has been suspended for Fall 2020.

Individual Student Transportation Needs

Most transportation options the University offers are for student organizations and campus departments with the funding capacities to pay for the services.  Individual students seeking transportation for personal reasons must make their own arrangements or use public transportation. The Office for Campus Life  sells discounted Charlie Tickets at the Mayer Campus Center Information Booth. There are also MBTA semester passes available for students and can be purchased on SIS.  Please visit the Office of Sustainability site for further information about semester passes and all other transportation information. Tufts also has a relationship with ZipCar, who has vehicles parked on campus for easy student access.

NOTE: Students under the age of 21 may rent Zip Car; however, there are additional insurance forms and waivers that would need to be completed. Please refer to the Tufts University Police Administration Services website for information.

Other Student Organizations/Departments with University Vehicles

Several student organizations and the Athletic Department have their own designated vehicles.  These vehicles are managed by the specific student organizations/departments and are for the business of those organizations/departments only.  Each student organization/department with vehicles has their own reservation systems and drivers must adhere to the specific group’s policies.  However, all drivers must adhere to the Vehicle Fleet Policy and have completed the Student Driver Approval Process.

Outside Company Vehicle Rental and Bus Rental

Student Organizations with budget approval, either through a representing Campus Department or the TCU Treasury may also reserve vehicles from rental companies.  Student Organizations seeking information on how to do this should make an appointment with the Campus Life Financial Office in Room 213 of the Mayer Campus Center.  Campus Life Financial Office staff will work individually with group members based on their needs.  Once an option (van rental, bus rental, zip car etc.)  is decided on the TCU funded Student Organization must complete a TCU Credit Card Application Form and have the TCU Treasury sign off on the form.    Non-funded student organizations seeking this service must have approval and Dept. ID number from the sponsoring campus department before a reservation can be made.

Note:  It will be required to get full insurance including collision, driver and third party when renting a vehicle. All drivers must adhere to the University Travel/Driver Policy and have on file a completed and approved Student Driver Application.

Privately-Owned Vehicles/Insurance Coverage

It is important to note that the university does NOT provide insurance coverage or indemnification for any accident or mishap involving students, their passengers, or any third party stemming from the use of privately-owned vehicles, even when they are used in connection with Tufts sponsored programs and activities. The driver (and/or the owner) of the private vehicle is wholly responsible for any litigation, financial exposure, or other repercussions that may result from its use. Additionally, passengers should realize that they are not covered by any university indemnification program or policy.

Public Transportation Services

There are several public transportation options for students at Tufts University.  Please visit the Office of Sustainability website for further information on purchasing a semester MBTA pass and all other transportation resources that Tufts University offers.  Also, the Office for Campus Life sells discounted Charlie Tickets at the Mayer Campus Center Information Booth.  Each ticket costs $5 and is pre-loaded with $5 in travel value (the equivalent of one round trip).  Charlie Tickets are also available for funded student organizations to purchase in bulk.  Bulk purchases for student organizations must first be approved by the TCU Treasury through a University IDR (Inter-departmental Requisition).  Once approved tickets are available for pick up in the Office for Campus Life.

GoBuses offers Tufts University a 12% discount on their online fares. Offers transportation from Alewife Station (close to Medford campus) to New York City and beyond.

Other Travel

Student Organizations often have the opportunity to travel outside of Tufts University on more extended trips, either out of state or even out of the country.  Student Organizations traveling for Tufts University business must complete the Travel Registration Form, and turn in to the Office for Campus Life prior to any travel.  This form is required for any student organization, whether they are TCU funded or not.  Student groups traveling on behalf of campus departments should also complete the Travel Registration Form.  This excludes teams traveling on behalf of the Athletics Department.  Teams and club sports should work with the Athletics Department on all travel needs.  Student Organizations using their organization funding for travel should work directly with the Campus Life Financial Office in room 213 of the Mayer Campus Center.  The staff in the Campus Life Financial Office will assist funded student organizations with all arrangements, payments, etc.